Friday, November 16, 2007

Opus Concert a Success


Success can be described in many ways. But I think you would have to say that this year's Opus Honor Choir Festival was a success in every way. First of all, you have four eager and talented students who are eager to learn and grow musically. Second of all, you have three gifted guest directors who love kids and are eager to share their musical wisdom. Thirdly, there are the supportive parents who provide transportation, money, and their presence (even when they don't feel well) to encourage these budding musicians. We can't forget the 716 other students from around the state who made up the rest of the four 180 member choirs. Add the teachers who lovingly prepared them and the packed house audience and you have the makings for a memory-making experience.
I haven't had the time to REALLY talk to the participants from yesterday: Alyssa, Daniel, Makaye, and Jenna because I'm still in Ames with the All-State students. I can't wait to hear what they have to say. I have three highlights of my own to share, however. For my thoughts to make sense to you, you will need to know that I happen to be the Chairman for this year's 7/8 grade girls choir. Thought #1: Students enjoy and NEED to be a part of something bigger than themselves. When they are, it changes them for the better. I had a student tell me during the day that "this has been one of the best experiences of my life." Sigh. Thought #2: Some musical treasures can be gifts from God. During the 7/8 grade concert I was moved to tears at the mature and lovely heart-touching emotion that the choir poured into their song "Heart, We Will Forget Him." Simply beautiful. Thought #3: It's so cool when you are appreciated for all your hard work. All four choirs received standing ovations from a packed CY Stephens Auditorium crowd and the sincere thanks of their directors. I received a heartfelt thank you from a parent that I did not know for making this experience possible for his daughter. What a gift! OPUS 2007-What a wonderful memory!!

No comments: