Monday, August 23, 2010

Ready for the Race!


I was really ready for school to start this year- what a wonderful summer. It wasn't too short, it didn't go by too fast, it wasn't too busy or any of the other things that you hear people say. The reason is because I chose to rest. I sat on my porch and read my books and worked in my flowers and had a lot of fun cutting thistles in the pastures (yep- you heard that right). I walked, I talked, I lunched with friends. I held my grand daughter and traveled with my family. I'm so thankful because I needed that, I mean I REALLY needed that.

So now I'm ready for school and excited about the new year in ways that I haven't been in a long time. You have probably already heard that "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" is our musical for this year. Auditions will be this week and the field is wide open. I hope the students are really preparing their auditions, because it is really hard to choose a cast based on how well you think they MIGHT act or sing! And these characters will need good actors to pull them off. The students are researching "Peanuts" characters for their first Moodle assignment, and the entries I've seen so far have been excellent. Choosing the right people for the parts is one of the things that significantly determines the show's success. It is not an easy job, so I thought you might like to know some of the things we take into consideration when casting a show.

1. Acting and singing ability (of course)
2. Reliability (rehearsal attendance)
3. Responsibility (memorization and preparation)
4. Past academic performance (ineligible students cannot perform on stage for the musical)
5. Potential (you can do more than you think you can)
6. Something we DON'T consider too much if at all: age. We cast the students based on what will make the best show. In other words: Don't plan on a part just because you are a senior. AND: Don't be upset if someone younger than you gets a good part. We cast the students based on what will make the best show.

And we will have a great show- I'm sure of that.
So... we're off!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

The musical will be amazing!

Angeline said...

I think that this musical is going to be great, if everyone does their part and does it to the best of their ablity.

Dan the man said...

I am ready for our musical this fall. I'll try to become a leader in this musical.

Caitlin said...

I can't wait for the musical! It is going to turn out AMAZING! :)

Makaye Smith said...

At first I wasn't sure about Charlie Brown, but I think this musical will, first, be really cute, and second, be a great success, as CAM musicals always are. :)

Michaela said...

This musical is going to be fun. I think it will go great, if everyone is willing to pitch in and practices as hard as they can.

Michaela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew Williamson said...

I think if everyone shows up on time to practice a.k.a. "Schroeder" this will be a very good musical.

Trevor Lee McKee #7 said...

This musical is going to be very fun and interesting. I am looking forward to participating in the musical. Being an adult voice will definitely be interesting, but fun. I can't wait for performance time!

Hannahankenbauer said...

This musical is sure to be a success! I can't believe we only have about a month left to practice!

Sammi said...

Well I believe this musical will be a success. So far in all the years I've been in vocal it's been a success not because the awesome conductors but also the students try their best to get things done and to have a great show to talk about though out the rest of the year.

amstender said...

I'm ready for this performance. I think it will be amazing and fun. :)